Wednesday, December 26, 2007

My holiday read--a gem!


The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
By Sherman Alexie
Art by Ellen Forney

I don’t read and review a lot of YA books. However, I try to read the National Book Award winners and other YA books that I see several people recommend. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian was well worth my holiday reading time.

It is a story of Arnold, a Spokane Indian teenager. He gets advice from one of his reservation school teachers that he should get off the reservation in order to have a life. So he does. He leaves his school on the rez and moves to a neighboring white school. His whole life changes. He isn’t accepted by the white students at the new school, and his old friends see him as a traitor.

Arnold’s thoughts, raw emotions, and deep honesty are revealed through this diary-of-sorts. I would highly recommend it to any teen, especially reluctant teen boy readers.

You can view Sherman Alexie’s National Book Award speech here.

No comments: