Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Starring...Strong Verbs

I have recently run across several books with awesome verbs! I have been working with my young fourth grade writers on books with strong verbs. Here are some of my favorites…

Dear Fish
By Chris Gall
Little Brown, 2006

Peter Alan invites the fish to come visit him. They do and it turns the town into a wild place. This book is chock-full of some of the best verbs out there. Dripping, flipping, flopping, gurgling, swooping, whooshing, hammering, and yammering are some of my favorites. This book is a treasure trove.

Heat Wave
By Eileen Spinelli
Illustrated by Betsy Lewis
Harcourt, 2007

When the town experiences a heat wave, everyone in town must do whatever they can to keep cool. Sizzled, frizzled, soaked, fanned, and squirted are some of my favorite verbs from this book.

Move
By Steven Jenkins and Robin Page
Houghton Mifflin, 2006

In Jenkins and Page style, this book highlights different animals. It talks about how they move—perfect for studying verbs. Each page has a separate verb written in large lettering. Each verb is paired with two animals that do that particular type of movement. My favorite verbs are slither and waddle. At the end the verbs are all listed together.

Workshop
By Andrew Clements
Illustrated by David Wisniewski
Clarion, 1999

Clements highlights the different tools in the workshop and what they do. It is complimented perfectly with Wisniewski’s unbelievable cut paper illustrations. This book is phenomenal in word choice all around, but I particularly like the verbs he uses for the screwdriver, drill, pliers, and wrench. My favorite line is “Wrench wrestles metal.” See, it even includes personification!

No comments: