Sunday, May 6, 2007

Jamestown Books


The big 400th anniversary weekend of Jamestown this coming weekend May 11-13. In honor of this big celebration here in Virginia, I thought I would highlight a list of Jamestown books I've been compiling. I know this is not a comprehensive list. In fact, I have not included the majority of the nonfiction reference books for kids written about Jamestown. Most of the books on this list are historical fiction, with a few exceptions. Many of the nonfiction selections are narrative nonfiction. I'm always wanting to expand the list, so if I have forgotten your favorite books about Jamestown, please let me know.
Here are my codes:
PB--Picture Book
MG--Middle Grade
YA--Young Adult
Hi-Lo--High Interest, Lower Reading Level (good for struggling readers)
HF--historical fiction
NF--nonfiction
Blood on the River: James Town 1607 by Elisa Lynn Carbone (MG, HF)
Jamestown Journey by Bentley Boyd (MG, graphic novel)
Jamestown: Journey Back in Time by Scott Reighard (YA, HF)
James Towne: Struggle for Survival by Marcia Sewall (Hi-Lo, HF)
On Their Own: A Journey to Jamestown by Marie Stone (MG, HF)
Two Chimneys by Mary Holmes (MG, HF)
What if You'd Been at Jamestown? by Ellen Keller (Hi-Lo, HF)
Who's Saying What at Jamestown, Thomas Savage? by Jean Fritz (MG, NF)

No comments: