Saturday, May 5, 2007

Unsolved Mysteries


I just finished reading The Body of Christopher Creed by Carol Plum-Ucci. It was one of the books that Madeline over at Buried in the Slush Pile recommended in February for writers to read. I could not put it down. I am an avid Patricia Cornwell reader, and I love CSI, but I don't read a lot of kid mysteries, because Encyclopedia Brown is usually all I think of. But Plum-Ucci had me hanging from chapter to chapter.


Christopher Creed is one of those kids that annoys everyone. When Christopher Creed is reported missing, Torey Adams' life is turned upside down. Torey Adams has always had a perfect life--a nice house, his parents have good jobs, he has a beautiful girlfriend, and he plays football. When he and a neighbor start wondering what really happened to Christopher Creed, the tables turn on them.


This is a page-turner, and it didn't turn out at all like I expected. I had never heard of Plum-Ucci until Madeline mentioned her in her blog. As soon as I started the book, I heard another one of Plum-Ucci's books, The Night My Sister Went Missing, was a nominee for an Edgar Award for 2007. The Body of Christopher Creed was a 2001 Printz Honor Book. I've now become a big Plum-Ucci fan and plan to read her other books. If you can recommend other good YA mysteries, I'm taking recommendations.

No comments: