Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Oxymorons, Irony and Sarcasm


I love Francine Green! She is trying so hard to find herself and figure out her place in this world. I remember being like her--wanting to be compliant and wanting my teachers to like me. I always wanted to do the right thing, but I also was trying to find my voice. What did I believe in? What did I really want to form an opinion about? Francine lives in the 1950s, a time of bombs scares, McCarthyism, and respecting elders. Francine begins to question the world around her and current events. Her parents shush her and want her to just not talk about current events. Her friend, Sophie, encourages her to speak out, have an opinion, rebel a little. Sophie's home provides a place where Francine hears about what is going on in the world and where she encourage to voice her opinion.
Francine is in Catholic school and the nuns are teaching them about oxymorons, irony, etc. Francine uses irony throughout the book. I learned something new from the book. I never realized that sarcasm is irony! Duh! Where have I been? Was I sleeping in English class or was it never explained to me that way....

No comments: