Monday, February 19, 2007

Where I'm From

I have always loved the autobiographical poem "Where I'm From" by George Ella Lyon. It is one of my favorite activities to do with my students each year--to have them write their own poem.

Here is my version:

Where I’m From
by Marcie Flinchum Atkins
Based on the poem by George Ella Lyon

I am from Ashland, ChiangMai, Penang, Roanoke, and Salem.
I am from Poage, ChiangMai International School, Salem High, Virginia
Western, Roanoke College, and Hollins University.
I am from visiting India, Nepal, Canada, Ireland, Ocean Isle, Bar Harbor,
Langkawi, Baltimore, Altanta and Delaware.

I am from Mike and Debbie saying,
“Remember who you are and what you are” and
“You can be anything you want to be.”

I am from suitcases and carry-ons, and never enough room.
I am from tickets and passports, and half-way-around-the-world
vacations.
I am from pack-the-night-before and it-will-all-fit.

I am from chinchokes, Songkran, and bare feet.
I am from rice, naan, curry, mangoes, milo ice, and khao soi and a pantry full of ingredients to make them at home.

I am from obsessive cooking and baking and watching Food Network.
I am from books stacked up in my office, beside my bed, and on my piano.

I am from writing in private journals to public blogs,
Snail mail to e-mail to any mail but bill mail,
Echoey phone calls to webcams.
I am from records, to tapes, to CDs, to satellite radio, to iPods.

I am from Flinchum to Atkins,
From Donnie to Makenna,
From single to blessed.

I am from writing and writing and more writing,
And the dream that one day,
By Marcie Flinchum Atkins will appear on a book cover.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marcie,

This poem was a gift... and I'm hoping, too, that one day readers will find themselves with another gift from you: your book in their hands.

Have faith, and keep writing! And thanks so much for linking to Wordswimmer.