Thursday, March 15, 2007

Hattie Big Sky



I just finished reading my third and final Newbery Honor book this morning. I finished Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Lawson. This week has been very stressful as I have been preparing for a session I was presenting at the VSRA conference on "Reading Like a Writer." On top of that, I am preparing for a big bridal shower for my future sister-in-law and I'm in charge of the food! This book was such a good "vacation" for me. Hattie Inez Brooks, the main character of the book, is based on Kirby Lawson's great-grandmother who "proved up" in Montana during the First World War. This book was fascinating to me on many levels. I don't typically read a lot of historical fiction, but every time I do read it, I wonder, why don't I read more of this??? I knew little about the development of the West during this time. It's a tale of adventure, but also a coming of age story where things don't always turn out perfect. I will be looking for more from Kirby Lawson!

A short interview with Kirby Lawson is in this month's edition of The Edge of the Forest.

No comments: