Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Wonderful, Wonderful Words


Because I have a 2 1/2 year old, I spend a lot of time reading picture books over and over and over again. Some of them get taken back to the library very quickly. Others I like to keep around for awhile. In the Small, Small Pond by Denise Fleming is one of those I have already renewed once. For a book with only 64 words in in, it has 36 amazing verbs! Every night when it was time to go to bed to my daughter would say, "Read The Small, Small Pond," and I would say, "Okay!"
Today I brought in to my 4th grade class. We've been talking about vivid verbs. I read it out loud to them and had them write down their favorite words. They were so excited. Their favorites were words like wriggle, quiver, waddle, drowse, and many more. We had a word feast today with all of these words. This book was a Caldecott Honor Winner in 1994. Why has it taken me 13 years to find this treasure?!

No comments: