Friday, July 6, 2007

Podcasting

I mentioned that one of my favorite toys is my iPod. I got it for Christmas, and ever since, I have been hooked on a few podcasts. No, I don't use my iPod exclusively for music, as many teens do. I spend most of my time listening to podcasts--specifically ones related to children's books or writing.

I have been recently listening to Just One More Book. I downloaded 180-some podcasts from them, and I have been slowly making my way from the present backwards. On my way to and from the Green Valley Book Fair, I listened to Just One More Book's coverage of the IRA 2007 conference (to get to IRA Coverage, find the Categories list on the left side of their homepage, scroll down to "Special Series", click on IRA 2007). They include interviews with the likes of Tony Stead, Janet Wong, and Mo Willems.

Just One More Book does a lot of reviews of Canadian and American books, but they also do intereviews with authors and other literacy-related people. I have been to the IRA conference twice, and both times were amazing experiences for me. I got to hear and meet dozens of authors. And the exhibition hall--amazing. Cheap books, lots of famous writers, free stuff. It's a book lovers dream. So, I was thrilled that Just One More Book did coverage of the IRA Conference, since I couldn't be there this year. It made me feel like I didn't miss out on everything.

Other podcasts I download:
Grammar Girl
Jodi Piccoult
YALSA--I haven't listened to these yet, but I am saving these for my 36 hour plane trip to Thailand next week.
Children's Book Radio

If you have podcasts related to children's books or writing that you listen to and love, let me know. I'm always looking for good listening.

No comments: