Saturday, December 1, 2007

I Love Used Bookstores!

I love used bookstores. I love Too Many Books on Grandin Ave. While my daughter is in ballet, I can go two doors down and browse. I always find treasures there at next to nothing. The other day, I brought home:

Bucking the Sarge by Christopher Paul Curtis (I had never read this one before)
Belle Prater's Boy by Ruth White (set in Virginia, so many people have recommended it to me)
Little Red Riding Hood by Jerry Pinkney (this is NEW, but I paid half price for it!! I love Jerry Pinkney's illustrations and this one is phenomenal)

What I loved even more about this store is that the people who work there KNOW books (unlike when you walk into a Barnes and Noble and the sales clerks have NO clue what you are talking about when you ask for A Drowned Maiden's Hair--aah!).

The sales clerk and I struck up a conversation about children's books. She asked if I had read A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly. I told her no, but it was on my "to read" list at home-- a list that has become quite lengthy. She highly recommended it, so I bumped it up to priority on my "to read" list and requested it from the library.

What a fantastic recommendation. I just finished reading it last night. It was a wonderful read! Thanks to Too Many Books for a handful of good used books and a fantastic book recommendation!

No comments: