Saturday, December 29, 2007

My favorite "new to me" authors of 2007

In a few days we'll be bringing you the Cybils shortlist for fiction picture books. I will also be posting my personal favorite books for the year in all categories. But in the meantime, I bring you my favorite authors that I discovered this year. You will notice that these people are not necessarily NEW to writing and/or illustrating. In fact, some of these people have been publishing in their field for a number of years. However, these are people I have personally just discovered in 2007 and now they are on my "I-must-read-everything-they-ever-write-or-illustrate-list". There are many people on that list for me, but I'm only listing my new ones for 2007.


Picture book authors/illustrators (BTW, these three also have VERY cool websites)
Emily Gravett
David Ezra Stein
Oliver Jeffers


Middle Grade
Rick Riordan
Trenton Lee Stewart


YA/Adult
Jodi Picoult (mostly adult, but many crossover YA titles)
Jennifer Donnelly (also wrote a picture book)
Sherman Alexie

I feel like I really grew as a reader in 2007. I tried to branch out and read across more genres and age levels than in the past. I'm looking forward to the authors and illustrators that I will discover in 2008.

No comments: