Monday, December 31, 2007

What I’ve Been Reading: December 07

Picture Books
I have been reading and rereading lots of Cybils titles. The shortlist for the fiction picture book category will be announced tomorrow, January 1, 2008.

Other Picture Books:
Patience Wright: America’s First Sculptor and Revolutionary Spy by Pegi Deitz Shea, illustrated by Bethanne Andersen
Jabberwocky reimagined and illustrated by Christopher Myers (my review here)
Pezzetino by Leo Lionni
Water Dance by Thomas Locker
Nothing but Trouble: The Story of Althea Gibson by Sue Stauffacher, illustrated by Greg Couch
Sweet Land of Liberty by Deborah Hopkinson, illustrated by Leonard Jenkins
The Red Thread: An Adoption Fairy Tale by Grace Lin
Cowboy and Octopus by Jon Scieszkca, illustrated by Lane Smith

Middle Grade
Red Moon at Sharpsburg by Rosemary Wells
How to Write Your Life Story by Ralph Fletcher (my review here)
Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff (a reread for me right before the Hallmark Hall of Fame movie came out)
The Aurora County All-Stars by Deborah Wiles (a review forthcoming)
The Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Jr. Edition by David Borgenicht and Robin Epstein (review forthcoming)
Edward’s Eyes by Patricia MacLachlan
Iron Thunder: The Battle Between the Monitor and the Merrimack by Avi (review forthcoming)

Young Adult
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexi (my review here)
Revolution is Not a Dinner Party by Ying Chang Compestine

Adult
Alexander and the Wonderful, Marvelous, Excellent, Terrific, Ninety Days by Judith Viorst (my review here)
Book of the Dead by Patricia Cornwell

What’s to come: Tomorrow I'll post the Cybils fiction picture book shortlist, which I am VERY excited about. I'll also post my favorite books of 2007.

I’ll be teaching a class in children’s literature and taking a graduate class in postmodernism in children’s literature, so much of my reading for the next 5 months will be geared toward those two classes. I hope I’ll be able to post on some of my reads.

I've already posted about my favorite new-to-me authors of 2007 and my favorite illustrations of 2007.

No comments: