Thursday, September 27, 2007

He Came with the Couch


Chronicle Books, 2005
This picture book with the Jim Henson-esque creature on the couch, is one of our favorite bedtime stories. I got it from the library because it was one of the Virginia Readers' Choice selections for the primary level. After two nights of reading this, my three-year-old daughter said, "That's my favorite book. We have to buy that one." I must admit, I have said that myself if I find a favorite book that I want to read over and over again. Those are the books I want to buy for her collection.
The illustrations are simple, but with wonderful, bold colors and a fascinating little blue guy that looks like a Muppet. In fact, this book is dedicated to Jim Henson.
Sophie's family needs a new couch, so they scavenge every yard sale and garage sale to no avail. They finally find what they are looking for at a 24 Hour Rummage Sale. The only problem is that it has a blue creature on it. They wonder why he won't get off the couch. Finally, they call in the doctor who claims that he has "upholsterosis" and that he needs to get out more. So they take the couch and the creature on family vacations and he stays stationary.
One day Sophie falls out of the tree and the creature shoves the couch out the window just in time to save Sophie from a horrible fall. He then becomes part of the family.
This is a "keeper". I think my daughter might find a copy of this in under the tree this year for Christmas.

No comments: